A brief history
A brief history
Paolo Venini founded his own glassworks in 1925, following the bankruptcy of Cappelin Venini and Co.
Under Napoleone Martinuzzi’s artistic direction, the company continued to produce pieces designed by Vittorio Zecchin.
Quickly, the pieces moved from classical shapes and designs to a more original style developed by Martinuzzi who was a sculptor.
In 1932, Napoleone Martinuzzi and Francesco Zecchin left the glassworks. The name then changed to Venini et co.
Tommaso Buzzi was then hired to take charge of the factory’s artistic direction. He only stayed for a short period of time.
The legacy left by Buzzi is of paramount importance for the change of the production.
Buzzi brings innovative forms and never seen colors schemes.
Carlo Scarpa joined the company in 1934.
Scarpa took over the factory’s artistic direction till 1947.
Together with Paolo Venini who also often took on the role of designer, they will breathed new life into the company and made the best use of the material potential, colors and finishes.
By combining ancestral techniques with a perfect knowledge of the trade, Carlo Scarpa will invented new series which met with significant success and were prized many times.
Remember the « mezza filigrana, the « sommersi » the « battuti », the « corrosi » but also the famous « a pennelatte »
After World War II, Paolo Venini hired a large number of artists and architects.
Gio Ponti, Tyra Lundgren and especially Fulvio Bianconi who contribued to the company’s new stylistic direction.
After Paolo Venini’s death in 1959, Ludovico Diaz de Santillana, Venini’s son-in-law, became artistic director.
A lot of prominent international designers then worked with the factory’s direction: Tobia Scarpa, Laura de Santillana, Thomas Stearns, Toni Zuccheri, …
In 1986, the Venini family sold their stake in the company.
New shareholders carried on and collaborated with designers such as Timo Sarpaneva, Marco Zanini, Ettore Sottsass and Alessandro Mendini, among others.
The company still exists today and is part of the Damiani group.